Sunday, April 26, 2009

What do vegans eat? (and other questions) answered

I get a lot of emails asking what sort of things we eat. Frankly, we eat well. Really well. Like I've-gained-four-pounds well. Seriously. Being vegan isn't a sure path to thinness (the other big question). In fact, I find myself not being as careful at times because of the inherent "virtue" of a plant-based diet. Since my camera was handy I took some pics of recent meals.

Dinner:

Chickpea cutlets with red wine and shallot gravy and mashed potatoes. We ended up using the majority of a stick of vegan margarine in this meal and it was so worth it. The picture doesn't do it justice.


Breakfast:

Watermelon, Pineapple and Mocha Chip Muffins.



Lunch is leftover potato and greens soup with leftover focaccia bread. Scroll down to my last post if you want to see it.

My point is, we eat a lot better now than we ever did before. And I still need to watch my portions.

All the recipes are from Veganomicon or Vegan with a Vengance.

5 comments:

Laura said...

I always love it when you put here pictures of what you have been cooking/eating. I am definitely one of those who haven't really had a clue of what vegans eat. I had been wondering about it since it feels so restricted. So, it has been fabulous to get to know more about it! Your foods always look amazing! :) I guess now I just need to figure out how to get invited to your house for a holiday *LOL* to get to sample all the food :).

fchild313 said...

Those muffins look yummy! I just got my cookbooks in and am ready to start baking some yummy cupcakes and lemon bars.

Tifany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tifany said...

Check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/Lick-Cathe-Olson/dp/1570672377/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238086849&sr=8-1

Vegan Ice Cream recipes!

And I don't know if you already check out this blog:

http://vivelevegan.blogspot.com/

Kristen H said...

YUM! I love your food posts. Have you seen Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet Cookbook?
She does have meat recipes, but there are lots of vegan recipes as well! It is all about eating more mindful and not eating stuff all altered up with artificial crud!
Thanks for commenting so I could re-save you. That was fast. WHEWWWWW!
Off to make my boat load of cards for the day. People wonder where I get the time. I can't make babies, so I make cards!!! LOL! Lots a free time when your only responsibility is a blind dog who sleeps all day.
Take card, Nicole!